The Cube
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Le Cube

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game of the Year [spoilers]

Go down 
+12
The People
Mega
Gitarooman
FlyingGiraffe
Linkred2
MC
General Meevious
Dizzy
Wraith
Wii-Lover
~Sgt-Jay~
Gman
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What, in your opinion, was the game of the year? (sorry, max options is 10)
Fallout 3
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap14%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
GTA IV
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap7%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Metal Gear Solid 4
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap21%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
Rock Band 2
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap14%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
Braid
 7% [ 1 ]
No More Heroes
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap0%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap29%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
Gears of War 2
 7% [ 1 ]
The World Ends With You
Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_lcap0%Game of the Year [spoilers] Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Gman
Dr. Awesome
Dr. Awesome
Gman

Male Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Game of the Year [spoilers] Empty
PostSubject: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Well, 2008 has been a pretty good year in gaming. While it wasn't realy as big as last year, there were certainly a good variety of games to choose from. Please discuss and vote for your favourite game, and recommend one if it didn't make the list.

Many might say that GTA IV or MGS 4 would be the best, due to there high review scores, but I disagree. While both games were good, they both didn't deserve the praise that they received, and looking back, most people would agree that they were over-hyped. This is pretty much what happened to me with Left 4 Dead. I got hyped up over it, and I originally thought it was perfect, but after taking a step back, a realised that it wasn't all that I thought it was. As for my actual favourite, I would say that it was Fallout 3. It is the most immersive game I have ever played, and has gotten me interested in RPG's, which, 2 months ago, were foreign to me. I recommend it to any type of gamer.

Last edited by Gman on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

Number of posts : 1023
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 pm

GTA IV or MGS 4 are over-rated

I mean, MGS4 just had too many cutscenes... like, WHAT THE FUUUUDDDDGEEE was they thinking?
GTA was just crap, the GPS ruined it and.. well, it was a step back from the previous game.

GoTY = Rockband :awesome:
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

Male Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Brawl anyone? :P
Back to top Go down
Gman
Dr. Awesome
Dr. Awesome
Gman

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Well, poll is up. If you feel something is missing, please say so.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.
Wraith

Male Number of posts : 479

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Very tough to choose one... I've been playing Fallout 3 for the last week and it's fantastic, but Rock Band 2 is probably the best multiplayer game I've ever played. I think GTA, MGS, and Brawl were waaaay overhyped (although they are all good games). Gears is also great, but I've never really been as big on it as everyone else... Braid would definitely win best indie/DLC/budget game of the year (or most artistic), but its size means that it doesn't quite match up to the others, so you can't really compare it.

I'd narrow it down to Fallout or Rock Band... Rock Band takes the win simply because I find it more fun to play (though not by much -- buy Fallout if you haven't already. NOW.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Dizzy
Dizzy

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Who voted for Brawl? Its an amazing game and probably one of my all time favorites, but it won't make GotY. Siding with the losers is never something I would do. =P

But I think Gears of War 2. I played that game for....hours my first time. Later me and my friend entered tournaments with a couple of other guys we knew online, and I had a bunch of fun. While Brawl is more of my game, Gears was great and will probably appeal to more of the gaming population.

Fallout 3 was good, but not my type of a game. I stopped a couple of days ago, one because I wanted to play Smash more, and it wasn't taking my interest as much as I would have liked.

Rock Band? Well for a relaxed game with friends its ok, and really more fun because your friends are there. But really with friends, most games are more fun. The music type games are ok, but I never really got into them much.
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Brawl is ok

i mean, it was never gonna live up to the hype
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:40 pm

I voted for Brawl. Unlike other people it DID live up to my over exasperated hype...

Plus I tried to play GTA 4... Boring...

Gears is AMAZING! But I prefer Brawl.

Never played Fallout nor do I own a console that plays it though I was on the bandwagon for all the hype.

I would never vote for a music/rhythm game to win GoTY. Dunno why, but it seems wrong.

Oh and I haven't played any of the MGS games yet.
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:44 pm

yeh..but i didnt vote for Brawl cause it was just the same as melee pretty much

didnt give a big impact on me
Back to top Go down
General Meevious
Totus Erus
Totus Erus
General Meevious

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it's either GTA4 or Fallout3... but having played neither yet... this poll makes me angry. :P
Back to top Go down
http://www.xkcd.com
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:19 pm

@Wii-Lover: You lie. GTA 4 Boring!? You do not deserve to walk the earth.

~Sgt-Jay~ wrote:

SAME AS MELEE!? You do not have any idea how big of a nerve you just smashed using a car that was on fire.

Melee has advanced techs and several more glitches than Brawl, along with faster paced gameplay. Characters in Melee have seriously different weights and fall speeds where in Brawl, everyone is floaty. Also the stage selection (duh) and Melee's attacks had much different percentage...things. Brawl is also almost completely without hitstun, where in Melee hitstun is huge. That's probably the biggest ones, because combos are omnipresent in Melee while in Brawl they are weak and sometimes depend on luck.

There is more, but I won't even go on. I need to calm down, I almost broke my keyboard. *deep breath*

Also, almost no games live up to their hype. Its always the same story, where people get all excited and some ride the fanboyism train all the way through and love the game, no matter its faults, where many others are disappointed. Game companies use hype not for later sales, but because at release its a blowout seeing as everyone is in a frenzy.
Back to top Go down
MC
MC

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Bet no one will vote for Braid. NO one.
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 4:40 am

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
@Wii-Lover: You lie. GTA 4 Boring!? You do not deserve to walk the earth.

~Sgt-Jay~ wrote:

SAME AS MELEE!? You do not have any idea how big of a nerve you just smashed using a car that was on fire.

Melee has advanced techs and several more glitches than Brawl, along with faster paced gameplay. Characters in Melee have seriously different weights and fall speeds where in Brawl, everyone is floaty. Also the stage selection (duh) and Melee's attacks had much different percentage...things. Brawl is also almost completely without hitstun, where in Melee hitstun is huge. That's probably the biggest ones, because combos are omnipresent in Melee while in Brawl they are weak and sometimes depend on luck.

There is more, but I won't even go on. I need to calm down, I almost broke my keyboard. *deep breath*

Also, almost no games live up to their hype. Its always the same story, where people get all excited and some ride the fanboyism train all the way through and love the game, no matter its faults, where many others are disappointed. Game companies use hype not for later sales, but because at release its a blowout seeing as everyone is in a frenzy.

theyre only minor differences though. I mean, overall it does feel a lot like melee. Like, the jump from 64 to Melee was like really big, Brawl just tweaks a few pointless things. But, it's like Melee.version 1.5.
Back to top Go down
General Meevious
Totus Erus
Totus Erus
General Meevious

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:32 am

I don't think its any more similar to melee than melee was to ssbN64, personally, but there are certainly pros and cons there. Melee felt a lot more solid, but the additional content in brawl is phenomenal.

I think I'm going to be an arse and vote for Fallout 3 even without playing it. I still play Oblivion to this day and I have not heard one person say that Fallout 3 is not as good as Oblivion. :merry:
Back to top Go down
http://www.xkcd.com
Linkred2
Man In Red
Man In Red
Linkred2

Male Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:46 am

Brawl's hype was like, God's angels waiting for humanity to be released, except God kept showing delays on www.humanity.holy and angels kept showing dissapointment videos on Yousaint.
Back to top Go down
FlyingGiraffe
Master of the Universe
FlyingGiraffe

Male Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:33 am

Brawl is awesome, and I still play it a ton, but I don't think it's GoTY worthy.
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 am

@CrazyDrunk

It's fun to just roam around and kill people, but I don't enjoy playing the actual game, but I DO enjoy watching GTA.
Back to top Go down
Gitarooman
"Normal" Member
Game of the Year [spoilers] Default4

Male Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 8:23 am

Wii-Lover wrote:
@CrazyDrunk

It's fun to just roam around and kill people, but I don't enjoy playing the actual game, but I DO enjoy watching GTA.

Bah, Backseat gaming...
Back to top Go down
MC
MC

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 am

General Meevious wrote:
I don't think its any more similar to melee than melee was to ssbN64, personally, but there are certainly pros and cons there. Melee felt a lot more solid, but the additional content in brawl is phenomenal.

I think I'm going to be an arse and vote for Fallout 3 even without playing it. I still play Oblivion to this day and I have not heard one person say that Fallout 3 is not as good as Oblivion. :merry:
Oblivion seems to be my pick of the two. Mainly because of these reasons:

-Continued playability (as in you continue your normal 'obilivious' life after main quest)
-Magica (love it, want it)
-Leveling system (you level each individual skill, not just your entire character)
-Map (easier to read in my opinion; can actually tell where a road is)
-Fantasy setting (the fantasy setting was better to me then the post-apocalytic one)
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 am

Gitarooman wrote:
Wii-Lover wrote:
@CrazyDrunk

Bah, Backseat gaming...

:P Very few games I enjoy watching and GTA is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Gman
Dr. Awesome
Dr. Awesome
Gman

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 9:39 am

MindChamber wrote:
General Meevious wrote:

Oblivion seems to be my pick of the two. Mainly because of these reasons:

-Continued playability (as in you continue your normal 'obilivious' life after main quest)
-Magica (love it, want it)
-Leveling system (you level each individual skill, not just your entire character)
-Map (easier to read in my opinion; can actually tell where a road is)
-Fantasy setting (the fantasy setting was better to me then the post-apocalytic one)

I don't know what you mean by the leveling system, but I was pretty annoyed when I finished the main quest and found that the game ended.
Back to top Go down
MC
MC

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 am

For instance, if you enter sneak mode in Oblivion, and do things like passing by others without being seen, your level gets raised in the Sneak category.

With Fallout 3, if you continue to Hack computers and whatnot, it will not raise you Science skill, but raise your entire character's level. Every level you get one perk, and 10 skill pts (+1 per int per level, start with high int for better skills, plus potentially 3 more / level with Comprehensive Learner perk) for a max of 23 pts/level.

Gain XP until you level, distribute points, rinse, repeat. Not oblivion style, which would be SLASHSLASHSLASH, hey, I'm better with blades! SLASH SLASH!
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm

Yea, I've heard that Fallout is one of those things where if you don't go through the game without doing too many of the side quest-ish things then you reach a level cap and finishing the game is kinda pointless. Oblivion you can play forever.

I don't know too much about either of those, since I stick mainly with the competitive high-profile multiplayers on the 360, but hey, I get points for trying right?
Back to top Go down
FlyingGiraffe
Master of the Universe
FlyingGiraffe

Male Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Alright, so I voted.

Kept you waiting, huh?
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Oh man. People who voted for Brawl have fanboyism towards Nintendo/no experiance with other systems.

Not that thats a bad thing, but still guys, Brawl is way too casual to get GotY.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game of the Year [spoilers]
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next