Le Cube
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.
avatar

Male Number of posts : 479
Age : 26
Location : Cubetoons
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:40 pm

[College (US) = University (UK/Aus)]

I attended our local college for about a semester last year, but gave up because I was tired, and sick of school. I didn't really know what I wanted to do with myself, anyway. Now I'm paying off the student loans I took and kind of wishing I'd have toughed it out. Though I'm still unsure what I want to be...

What about you all? I know JKR is going to art school and Descriptor engineering, and I think Fordy was in university, yes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 pm

I'll go to college in probably seven years for financial reasons for computer engineering.

I am hoping for Hardware, but it will probably be Software for the job availability.

And I would LOVE to go to WVU to be the second generation in my family to go there, but I don't know what the Engineering courses there are.
Back to top Go down
Jordohio(.net)
Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 459
Age : 20
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Odds are, I'll go to a college close to where I live called Terra.

I want to be a Network Administrator for my school or small business. I haven't really planned much out yet, as with my life, things change left and right. But, I just wanna do something like that when I get older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jordohio.net
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.
avatar

Male Number of posts : 479
Age : 26
Location : Cubetoons
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 pm

From what I understand, if you get really good at computer sciences, you can get a job literally anywhere in the world -- companies will pay you to live there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Wraith wrote:
From what I understand, if you get really good at computer sciences, you can get a job literally anywhere in the world -- companies will pay you to live there.
Yeah, I figure I'll also take Mandarin when I get into College. But my dream job would be working at the graphics department in AMD. Sadly, I am not good with art though.
Jordo wrote:
Odds are, I'll go to a college close to where I live called Terra.

I want to be a Network Administrator for my school or small business. I haven't really planned much out yet, as with my life, things change left and right. But, I just wanna do something like that when I get older.
Piece of advice, take German as a language in High School.

Unless your high school has Japanese or something cooler.
Back to top Go down
Jordohio(.net)
Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 459
Age : 20
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Papytendo wrote:
Jordo wrote:
Odds are, I'll go to a college close to where I live called Terra.

I want to be a Network Administrator for my school or small business. I haven't really planned much out yet, as with my life, things change left and right. But, I just wanna do something like that when I get older.
Piece of advice, take German as a language in High School.

Unless your high school has Japanese or something cooler.
We no longer have German, because our school board thought it was useless and no longer needed.

So we only have Spanish and French.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jordohio.net
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Jordo wrote:
Papytendo wrote:
Jordo wrote:
Odds are, I'll go to a college close to where I live called Terra.

I want to be a Network Administrator for my school or small business. I haven't really planned much out yet, as with my life, things change left and right. But, I just wanna do something like that when I get older.
Piece of advice, take German as a language in High School.

Unless your high school has Japanese or something cooler.
We no longer have German, because our school board thought it was useless and no longer needed.

So we only have Spanish and French.
It's a shame, because learning German helps out with Computers.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.
avatar

Male Number of posts : 479
Age : 26
Location : Cubetoons
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Spanish is kind of boring to learn because of so many similarities to English, but comes in endlessly useful. French is an ugly, broken language that pretentious assholes learn for pretentious reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Spanish would be useful in my town considering we have had one of the largest Latino growths in this country in the past ten years, but I plan of leaving here as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Jordohio(.net)
Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 459
Age : 20
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Yeah, in Ohio, two years of a foreign language is required to graduate. Credits start in 8th grade, so I'm just trying to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Also, around here, Spanish isn't even very useful. :I
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jordohio.net
ThatFancyChap
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Number of posts : 580
Age : 23
Location : Ireland
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Going to University next year, and the year after I'll be moving to (what I think is, according to a news article) something like the 96th best University in the world. Which is cool.
Imma gonna do Astrophysics.

Also, as regards to French, it's not only for pretentious people, it's also for people who live around French Canada? Here it's useful as any other European language. I studied German for 3 years, didn't learn much. I'll probably come back to it at some point in my free time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mega
Title stealer >:(
avatar

Male Number of posts : 391
Age : 28
Location : Welshland
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 pm

I quit last year, now I'm a working man.

_________________
g2g forum suxs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Man, I hear you! I nearly quit school the first time around as well. Instead I switched majors three times and did end up toughing it out to get a degree. A useless, useless degree. I don't even know where my diploma is.

Honestly college is something you really need to WANT to do if you want it to be completely awesome. The difference between my first go around and this past time in animation is night and day. I learned so much, because I wanted to. Instead of before where I didn't want to at all.

I think people should take a few years off from school, and then go back. Instead of this "college right out of high school" stuff. It's totally okay that you don't know what you want to do, that will come in time. The trick is to keep your eyes open for what you love doing, and see how to turn that into your life goal. It isn't worth it if it's just for the money, you'll never be happy. If you love what you do, it's worth more than any amount of money in the world. (Sounds crazy, but I really think it's true.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Descriptor
"Normal" Member

avatar

Male Number of posts : 182
Age : 26
Location : Here
Registration date : 2010-05-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:49 pm

So, yeah, still in engineering...
Nothing much has changed there...
On the plus side, I got through calc 3 with a C! On my first try, even!
And while that may sound bad, might I note that about half the people in the class usually fail...
And considering that pretty much everyone in my school has to take it (except for fricken comp sci majors! Crazy ), those numbers add up!
Pretty terrible class all around...
Yup...

A friend of mine became comp sci because of it, the poor soul...

Actually, that brings up a funny story. The other day he was talking about how he could make a program in Python to output any number in the Fibbonachi sequence, and I was all like "Ha! I could desing a computer to do that!" and so I did.
It was awesome.

Wow I'm lame...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Lol. Well, once you both finish you can build things for him to program on. It will be win-win!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paperboy
I am Batman
I am Batman
avatar

Male Number of posts : 369
Age : 22
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm currently in a youth preforming arts school, and I hope to continue my study and going to a university in Chicago, and maybe minor in journalism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm

If you switch one of those over to "fine arts" you can have the best chance at starving to death of any majors out there. Tongue

Journalism and Performing Arts are rough, rough fields (along with fine arts). You'll make it, but you've gotta have a huge amount of determination!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Hopefully I go somewhere on a baseball scholarship, though I can't really tell how serious any of the colleges I'm talking to are about the whole thing. If I really want to go that path, I'll probably end up going to community college for a year in order to get picked up by someone rather than try to get the scholarship right out of high school.

If that whole baseball doesn't work out, well I'm not sure.

Colleges of choice:

BYU
BYU-Idaho
UW
WSU

Not that my college of choice matters but hey. As for what I should major in, I dunno. I have a couple of things I would like to try and do.

1) Software engineering. If I decide I want to do this I probably will end up going to a smaller college (such as BYU-Idaho) and get an under-graduate degree in Mathematics, and then get a grad's degree at a larger program in order to get an MSE. That's only if I want to go into business software as opposed to commercial, though the whole idea of the aforementioned process is to keep my options broad but abilities relevant.

2) Game Developing/Programming. Yea, I'm completely aware that this is specific inside software engineering, but I'll probably look for different degrees if I decide I still want to make games. My undergrad degree would be mechanical engineering and then make an application to DigiPen.

3) Military, then on to the police force or being a firefighter. Having a more physical job that isn't just manual labor is something I've always thought would be good. My attention span isn't especially long, and so having a career that is a bit more physically oriented would be great. And as far as I'm concerned, if I'm going to do anything like this I'm going to start in the military.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mega
Title stealer >:(
avatar

Male Number of posts : 391
Age : 28
Location : Welshland
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 pm

-JKR- wrote:
I think people should take a few years off from school, and then go back. Instead of this "college right out of high school" stuff. It's totally okay that you don't know what you want to do, that will come in time. The trick is to keep your eyes open for what you love doing, and see how to turn that into your life goal. It isn't worth it if it's just for the money, you'll never be happy. If you love what you do, it's worth more than any amount of money in the world. (Sounds crazy, but I really think it's true.)

I agree with you, but the only problem with that I've found is that people will take a year or two out after school and never go onwards to college.

_________________
g2g forum suxs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Mega wrote:
-JKR- wrote:
I think people should take a few years off from school, and then go back. Instead of this "college right out of high school" stuff. It's totally okay that you don't know what you want to do, that will come in time. The trick is to keep your eyes open for what you love doing, and see how to turn that into your life goal. It isn't worth it if it's just for the money, you'll never be happy. If you love what you do, it's worth more than any amount of money in the world. (Sounds crazy, but I really think it's true.)

I agree with you, but the only problem with that I've found is that people will take a year or two out after school and never go onwards to college.

Right, totally. What I mean is that the "system" should be you graduate from high school, then work until you're 21, and then at 21 you enter college. If that were the norm, I think it would do a lot more people a ton of good, and people would go back to school because it would be the normal thing to do.

Way too many kids go to college out of high school because it's the "thing you're supposed to do" and they totally aren't ready. I was absolutely one of them. The time off made all the difference in the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Number of posts : 45
Location : Sulking in My Corner
Registration date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Being a highschool student, I'm pretty sure what little I know about this subject is complete BS, but heres my opinion for what its worth: college is worth it in any aspect, gaining that extra education almost always gives you an edge against those who don't. In america, some people have trouble finding jobs assuming because of the limited jobs open; well actually, thousands of jobs are open, however not enough people are qualified to take the positions.

Also as for the "college right out of highschool stuff" going to college directly out of highschool is assumably easier and it saves precious time. How else do you plan to spend that time if not at college? The mindset of taking time off is putting America behind, currently we rank last out of 30 core countries in almost every aspect of education.

And if anyone cares: UC Berkely is the college of my choice, I plan to major in Art.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:04 pm

-JKR- wrote:
Mega wrote:
-JKR- wrote:
I think people should take a few years off from school, and then go back. Instead of this "college right out of high school" stuff. It's totally okay that you don't know what you want to do, that will come in time. The trick is to keep your eyes open for what you love doing, and see how to turn that into your life goal. It isn't worth it if it's just for the money, you'll never be happy. If you love what you do, it's worth more than any amount of money in the world. (Sounds crazy, but I really think it's true.)

I agree with you, but the only problem with that I've found is that people will take a year or two out after school and never go onwards to college.

Right, totally. What I mean is that the "system" should be you graduate from high school, then work until you're 21, and then at 21 you enter college. If that were the norm, I think it would do a lot more people a ton of good, and people would go back to school because it would be the normal thing to do.

Way too many kids go to college out of high school because it's the "thing you're supposed to do" and they totally aren't ready. I was absolutely one of them. The time off made all the difference in the world.

But then I see the other side of the story. The people that take the time off, and never can get back. Whether they just don't have the money or can't jump right back in, it often sticks them working at Target and partying with friends on weekends.

Most of the people I know that were the most successful in college were those that stayed focused on school, worked their way through and then took some time off after college.

Although...I'm LDS (more commonly known as Mormon.) and most of our church's young adults go on a proselyting "mission" for 2 years for the Church. The youngest age to go is 19, and most people do go then, and so you get all these people coming back at 21 and continuing college from there. Generally a semester or two is spent in college before they go on a mission though, sometimes longer.

I guess it depends on the person, and how much you like/want to do something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 am

Truly it does. It's SO much about how much the individual student cares. The thing is, right out of high school you're a different person than you're going to be four years later. Not necessarily because you went to college or not, but just in terms of your perspective changing.

Anyway, I certainly see the arguments for and against taking time off. I think the way things stand now, taking time off would lead to a lot more people not going on to school after the time off. I just feel that if it was "normal" to do that and then expected to go into college two years later, it would be the norm and most people would do it. And be better off, because they'd have a little better idea of what they did and didn't want to do.

The way I figured out what I wanted to do was by finding out what I absolutely DID NOT want to do. I didn't want to be a cameraman for 5 years before getting further into videography, so I tried something else. I settled with Graphic Design, but after a few years in the field I knew I didn't want to do that. And it was only my work experience in retail and at a bowling alley job that made me 100% sure I never wanted to be a cog in some bigger machine that I had no control over. No way, no how...

Maybe there should be some "Are you ready for college" test they give in high school to determine if you should go right away or not. I know plenty of people who are ready then, but so many who are not. You really have to WANT it. (And you especially can't have your parents just want it for you.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThatFancyChap
Hero Member
Hero Member
avatar

Number of posts : 580
Age : 23
Location : Ireland
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Bleh... I just found out I'll have to go straight to Cork University from year One (I was hoping to stay home in Limerick, then transfer, to stay close to friends, etc.) but now I'm gonna have to go to a University that no one in my year is going to, but all my friends are going to NEXT year. Bleh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best
Senior Member
Senior Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 252
Age : 27
Location : Milky Way Galaxy, Orion Spur, Earth.
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm neither attending college nor am I employed. Explaining the whys and hows would be lengthy and I'd rather not if not asked about them. Suffice to say the two years since I graduated from high school have been uneventful and drawn out. Schwad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: College   

Back to top Go down
 
College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Phantom of the Opera 05-05-2012 - Lone Star College-CyFair Center for the Arts, Cypress, TX
» College basketball Top Plays
» College kids coming home for Spring Break
» ESPN TV Money (And Greed) Is Ruining College Football
» A few more bits for the gallery Avondale College mug for 40th Anniversary 1985

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cube :: Generally speaking :: General stuff-
Jump to: