College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
-JKR-

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:11 am

Well I won't ask why or how, but do you want to go to school again? Or are you content with not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

Male Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 am

I'm really not sure. I'd rather not spend money and time doing something that I don't want to do, and the only thing I've seriously considered going to school for would take a lot of both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wii
Insignifigant Peon
Insignifigant Peon

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 am

I wanna be a Mechanical Engineer, and looking at 3 colleges
UW-Madison
UW-Platteville
UW-Milwaukee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Like what within mechanical engineering? Industrial manufacturing, etc, etc.

It seems like an insanely broad degree, at least from what I've read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wii
Insignifigant Peon
Insignifigant Peon

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Dizzy wrote:
Like what within mechanical engineering? Industrial manufacturing, etc, etc.

It seems like an insanely broad degree, at least from what I've read.
Like engines and stuff like that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThatFancyChap

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm beginning to sorta freak out... I'm going to be studying in a city I've never been in. I'm gonna be on my own (bar people I've never met, which don't count [yet]). I'm looking at the prices of houses...
All for something that is happening in less than 9 months.
Oh God, I'm growing up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:22 pm

While we're on the subject of colleges I thought I might bring up TAMS (google it for the offical website) which stands for Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science. It's kinda like a pre-college for the academically excellent. Without going into too much detail, basically if you get accepted (which is ridiculously hard), you'll go to the University of North Texas during your junior and senior years and start earning college credit instead of doing normal highschool stuff. Instruction is by regular university faculty and there are no high school courses taught, but students enjoy many of the activities of high school and the company of age mates.

What do you guys think of this program? I realize some will think that most highschool students are unprepared for this, but keep in mind that only the best get acceptted, its like getting acceptted into Havard for lack of a better comparison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm

While I can almost guarantee that this whole academy thingy's entry requirements have nothing on Harvards, it sounds a lot overrated.

I'm not sure how you're education system works down there in Texas, but up here in Washington we have a program called Running Start. Running Start puts you earning college credits your junior and senior years (sounds familiar no?) and counts those as the final high school credits needed. This can be done from any public school. And from what I can tell, college acceptance isn't based as much on course difficulty as any school administration would like you to think. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that yes from what school you're coming out of matters to some degree, especially with Ivy League schools, but what matters a whole lot more is GPA and SAT/ACT scores. You have a 4.0 and high SAT/ACT score and you can get into most places (barring Ivy League. I could go into more detail about that stupid process if you want.) no matter where you came from. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's really fundamentally the same almost anywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.

Male Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 pm

They have that everywhere, yeah -- just with different names.

A girl from my year got accepted into Harvard... She was absolutely brilliant, and had more extracurricular stuff than I could even begin to fathom, let alone count. She applied just for the Hell of it and didn't even think she'd get in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 am

prplmonkey wrote:
While we're on the subject of colleges I thought I might bring up TAMS (google it for the offical website) which stands for Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science. It's kinda like a pre-college for the academically excellent. Without going into too much detail, basically if you get accepted (which is ridiculously hard), you'll go to the University of North Texas during your junior and senior years and start earning college credit instead of doing normal highschool stuff. Instruction is by regular university faculty and there are no high school courses taught, but students enjoy many of the activities of high school and the company of age mates.

What do you guys think of this program? I realize some will think that most highschool students are unprepared for this, but keep in mind that only the best get acceptted, its like getting acceptted into Havard for lack of a better comparison.
Most high school students aren't prepared for anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Dizzy wrote:
While I can almost guarantee that this whole academy thingy's entry requirements have nothing on Harvards, it sounds a lot overrated.

I'm not sure how you're education system works down there in Texas, but up here in Washington we have a program called Running Start. Running Start puts you earning college credits your junior and senior years (sounds familiar no?) and counts those as the final high school credits needed. This can be done from any public school. And from what I can tell, college acceptance isn't based as much on course difficulty as any school administration would like you to think. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that yes from what school you're coming out of matters to some degree, especially with Ivy League schools, but what matters a whole lot more is GPA and SAT/ACT scores. You have a 4.0 and high SAT/ACT score and you can get into most places (barring Ivy League. I could go into more detail about that stupid process if you want.) no matter where you came from. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's really fundamentally the same almost anywhere.
Looking back I was pretty tired when I wrote what I did, so yeah my comparison with Harvard was a bit overrated, however the point I was trying to make is that TAMS is really hard to get into.

Also as for Running Start, I can't help but to draw comparisons. In texas we are also given the oppurtunities to gain college credit through public schools (mostly through AP courses and National Exams), but don't confuse that with TAMS. TAMS is like going to college 2 years ahead, its not a public school thing where you earn credit this or that. It's actually taking college courses taught by college professors in a university (also arguably you can earn more credits as some graduates from TAMS have immediately become seniors at their universities right after coming out from TAMS)

I agree on your views on college admitance.

Also its interesting to note, that in Texas its possible to get a 5.0 or 6.0 GPA, I'm sure its the same with other states, every independent school district runs on a different scale.

Best wrote:
A bit stereotypical aren't we? You'd be surpised in a minority of us, but otherwise... yeah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.

Male Number of posts : 479

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:32 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_college_entrance_program#List_of_early_entrance_programs
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
-JKR-

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 am

I'm currently debating whether or not to just give up on this last class I'm taking before I'm back out of school again. There are three major projects to finish if I want to stick with it, which would take a huge amount of time. I don't need a passing grade. It isn't like I'm coming back next year. Still, there's a nagging in my stomach to just finish it well and be done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm

-JKR- wrote:
I'm currently debating whether or not to just give up on this last class I'm taking before I'm back out of school again. There are three major projects to finish if I want to stick with it, which would take a huge amount of time. I don't need a passing grade. It isn't like I'm coming back next year. Still, there's a nagging in my stomach to just finish it well and be done.

Best to go through with it in my opinion, I realize I'm not speaking with the authority of much anything, but I won't mind if you take a little time off FtM again. Although you don't really seem to want it very much, if you don't intend to dedicate any effort towards it, then yeah you should give up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BennyboyNZ
Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member

Male Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm off to uni in wellington in February doing a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and Italian. And possibly picking up music or criminology in 2012.

But I think waiting until something that you really like doing, even if it takes a few years... is probably the best option.

However, you could do something in Film or animation or Information Technology (IT)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 pm

prplmonkey wrote:
Dizzy wrote:

Looking back I was pretty tired when I wrote what I did, so yeah my comparison with Harvard was a bit overrated, however the point I was trying to make is that TAMS is really hard to get into.

Also as for Running Start, I can't help but to draw comparisons. In texas we are also given the oppurtunities to gain college credit through public schools (mostly through AP courses and National Exams), but don't confuse that with TAMS. TAMS is like going to college 2 years ahead, its not a public school thing where you earn credit this or that. It's actually taking college courses taught by college professors in a university (also arguably you can earn more credits as some graduates from TAMS have immediately become seniors at their universities right after coming out from TAMS)

I agree on your views on college admitance.

Also its interesting to note, that in Texas its possible to get a 5.0 or 6.0 GPA, I'm sure its the same with other states, every independent school district runs on a different scale.

Best wrote:
A bit stereotypical aren't we? You'd be surpised in a minority of us, but otherwise... yeah.

No, no. Running Start is literally the exact same thing as you're talking about. Students in Running Start don't actually attend they're own high school, they go to a nearby college for the courses they're taking. Some people do a half Running Start thing where they take some college classes and some high school classes, but that's a different story. Though I'm entirely sure the environment at said school thingy is much more intense.

And Best may have stereotyping, but he's right. I've been through the same thing, and probably will again. I thought I was ready for the workload I was taking on, and wasn't even close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:47 pm

prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:
Are you sure you mean stereotypical? That sounds like it's not the word you're thinking it is... although I can't for the life of me recall what that word could be.

You're correct on the count of some few teenagers knowing what it is they want to do- but being that I was and still remain on the other side of that barrier I think I can say with some certainty that most everyone is winging it from major decision to major decision in there lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Best wrote:
prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:
Are you sure you mean stereotypical? That sounds like it's not the word you're thinking it is... although I can't for the life of me recall what that word could be.

You're correct on the count of some few teenagers knowing what it is they want to do- but being that I was and still remain on the other side of that barrier I think I can say with some certainty that most everyone is winging it from major decision to major decision in there lives.

By any chance do you live in America? I realize I'm hypocritical by stereotyping, but since everyone is talking about workload and all that, American schools aren't best at preparing for college (or anything much for that matter), if you take a look at other core countries, their highschools (and probally middle schools) have insane amounts of work, by the time they reach college, it won't be too far of a step.

As for major decisions, it depends on the person, though I agree most people are winging their major decisions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 pm

prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:
prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:

By any chance do you live in America? I realize I'm hypocritical by stereotyping, but since everyone is talking about workload and all that, American schools aren't best at preparing for college (or anything much for that matter), if you take a look at other core countries, their highschools (and probally middle schools) have insane amounts of work, by the time they reach college, it won't be too far of a step.

As for major decisions, it depends on the person, though I agree most people are winging their major decisions.
As an American citizen it is my duty to uphold a high standard of not comparing the American standard to the rest of the civilized worlds standard. (AKA Western Europe)

And, just to throw another wrench in your machinations, you're being hypocritical yourself by using that word so often and wholly disregarding that stereotypes exist and persist for justifiable, if not wholly fair reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Wait I'm confused.

When did some guy in Texas get a feel for the entire American school system? Its a bit ironic that I just spent weeks researching that exact topic in order to write an article for the school newspaper, but here's what I found; the one thing that this school system does best, is helps you proportionately to how much work you put into it.

You hear all the stories about how its the teacher's fault, or anything like that. But honestly? It's a bunch of excuses. I'll go into more detail if you want but honestly going into writing that article I almost already knew the answer, and I'm fairly sure most everyone pretty much knows the same thing but either won't accept it or don't care.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Way I see it, even the most competent of teachers can't motivate someone to learn if they really don't want to. Which is why public schooling is so inefficient.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Best wrote:
As an American citizen it is my duty to uphold a high standard of not comparing the American standard to the rest of the civilized worlds standard. (AKA Western Europe)

And, just to throw another wrench in your machinations, you're being hypocritical yourself by using that word so often and wholly disregarding that stereotypes exist and persist for justifiable, if not wholly fair reasons.

I wasn't comparing america to western europe but rather the whole world (civilized world standards? civilization is a hard thing to standardize and define universally, people have been trying for years). Another thing too, most american schools teach alot about europe and america, however not so much about the rest of the world. My humanities teacher often jokes that according to some of his students all china has been doing is building rockets for the past four thousand years or so.
Also competing on a international level is important too, but I won't go into that as I'm sure the other people on the forum know alot more on that subject than I do.

Dizzy wrote:
Wait I'm confused.

When did some guy in Texas get a feel for the entire American school system? Its a bit ironic that I just spent weeks researching that exact topic in order to write an article for the school newspaper, but here's what I found; the one thing that this school system does best, is helps you proportionately to how much work you put into it.

You hear all the stories about how its the teacher's fault, or anything like that. But honestly? It's a bunch of excuses. I'll go into more detail if you want but honestly going into writing that article I almost already knew the answer, and I'm fairly sure most everyone pretty much knows the same thing but either won't accept it or don't care.

I never said it was the teacher's fault, but the fact remains America trails behind in education compared to the rest of the globe (in everything except for confidence), and also not all school systems try their best, it is very rare but sometimes (mostly happens with teachers associated with teacher's union and tenure) it is the teacher's fault (its a little biase but watch Waiting for Superman, it explains on that better than I can).

Bringing up workload again, lots of people complain about having too much homework/studying/etc.. On an international scale (not including peripheral countries), America's school system doesn't actually force too much work on its students (in Taiwan, Japan, and other asian countries they have almost mandatory summer school, you can opt out of it, but there's a major test on the first day of school).

As for the school system helping you proportionally to how much you put into it, I agree. Though I want to mention that not many people are know are willing to put effort into the school system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 pm

prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:

I wasn't comparing america to western europe but rather the whole world (civilized world standards? civilization is a hard thing to standardize and define universally, people have been trying for years). Another thing too, most american schools teach alot about europe and america, however not so much about the rest of the world. My humanities teacher often jokes that according to some of his students all china has been doing is building rockets for the past four thousand years or so.
Also competing on a international level is important too, but I won't go into that as I'm sure the other people on the forum know alot more on that subject than I do.
Yes, Americans have a very narrow world view- limited almost wholly to the region that America is most related to- how shocking.

Civilization is man-made society. The reason that North America and western Europe are considered to be so 'civilized' is because of the extensive amounts of existing infrastructure, heavy industry, high concentrations of urban populations and comparatively low rural populations , higher literacy rates than much of the rest of the world- and most importantly, stability. These are all key signs of what are widely regarded as measures of Civilization. I'm not an expert and even I can tell that you're not exactly sure what it is you're talking about, and are just bemoaning the world at large.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prplmonkey

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Best wrote:
prplmonkey wrote:
Best wrote:

Yes, Americans have a very narrow world view- limited almost wholly to the region that America is most related to- how shocking.

Civilization is man-made society. The reason that North America and western Europe are considered to be so 'civilized' is because of the extensive amounts of existing infrastructure, heavy industry, high concentrations of urban populations and comparatively low rural populations , higher literacy rates than much of the rest of the world- and most importantly, stability. These are all key signs of what are widely regarded as measures of Civilization. I'm not an expert and even I can tell that you're not exactly sure what it is you're talking about, and are just bemoaning the world at large.

Thanks for insulting my perspective of things; I appologize for giving a world view of things, I didn't realize that anything outside of western europe doesn't affect us. Also western europe is not as stable or strong as it once was, but if I add any more facts from the college board then you won't be able to comprehend. (the civilization being hard to define came from a college textbook, not that you would know anything about that)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Best

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 pm

prplmonkey wrote:
Thanks for insulting my perspective of things; I appologize for giving a world view of things, I didn't realize that anything outside of western europe doesn't affect us. Also western europe is not as stable or strong as it once was, but if I add any more facts from the college board then you won't be able to comprehend. (the civilization being hard to define came from a college textbook, not that you would know anything about that)
Your sarcasm isn't appreciated. Now if you actually want to have an earnest discussion with me about these matters instead of making insinuations that I don't know shit 'cuz I haven't read this book you seem to be referring to so frequently, I'd gladly add you on MSN Messenger or Steam. On that note, I'm not going to apologize for the things I said, though I will admit I was being a tad insulting to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: College   

Back to top Go down

College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next