Le Cube

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How would you guys feel about a new forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

New Forum?
Sure, we need some new meat.
57%
 57% [ 4 ]
NUUUUUU I LOVE THIS PLACE!
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Need more details first.
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Red_Fif for President!
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
FlyingGiraffe
Master of the Universe

Male Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Papytendo the Tea Girl wrote:
FlyingGiraffe wrote:
For art for buttons and stuff? Yeah I'll go for it!
OK.

When are we going to start doing this?
Whenever I guess. I've got other work I'm doing this week but if you tell me what you want/need I can toy around with some stuff and start legitimate stuff on monday.

Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member

Male Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Did anybody hear a mouse?
The exact reason why I don't think the new forum will succeed.

If you're acting like this to a community, then nobody is going to stay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jordohio.net

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Jordohio wrote:

I'm just messing with you Jordo. :P

Calm down.
FlyingGiraffe wrote:
FlyingGiraffe wrote:
OK.

Whenever I guess. I've got other work I'm doing this week but if you tell me what you want/need I can toy around with some stuff and start legitimate stuff on monday.
We should probably wait for JKR to approve this before we start working on it.
Back to top Go down
FlyingGiraffe
Master of the Universe

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm

FlyingGiraffe wrote:
FlyingGiraffe wrote:
OK.

We should probably wait for JKR to approve this before we start working on it.
Okie dokie then, I'll wait for THE SIGNAL.

The Guitar Hero
The Guitar Hero

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm no artiste, but I can try and help with any random things that come up. Tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-

Male Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 am

Jordohio wrote:

Indeed, that's going to be a major requirement if I'm going to be able to approve this. The first rule of the new forum is "Be welcoming and don't exclude folks."

Now I know you were messing around, Papytendo, but a newer member might not (or in this case Jordo felt excluded because he really wanted to help and was met with just a sarcastic joke).

Jokes are great, and sarcasm, while difficult to sometimes pull off online as you can't tell what the tone of voice is, is fine. It just needs to be coupled with not-just-jokes-and-sarcasm sometimes. For example.

Jordo: I'd try to help but no one ever listens to my ideas.

Papytendo: Did anybody hear a mouse?

Tongue Just messing with you. What would you like to do or what ideas are you thinking of?

And bam, just like that you've still made your amusing joke but ALSO made Jordo feel included and heard. It might take two seconds of extra work but by including him (or whoever, that was just an example) you're pulling in another person who will feel like it's partly theirs, and then they're more likely to stay. After all, we're all here to hopefully be heard and listened to. That's the point of a forum. It's win-win this way, and to be perfectly honest if we could get that sort of a feeling in the new forum I'd take out the disclaimer thing all together and invite everyone myself. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see, personally.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Note also, you don't have to do that sort of thing every time, either. There's room for just the sarcastic jokes alone, but the trick is only when it's a constant regular that is constantly posting with you. If they're new, that doesn't work. Or, in this case, if they don't come around super frequently (which it doesn't seem to me Jordo does, but I could be mistaken) you want to pull them back into the fold so then later you CAN joke around with them without any extra words to reassure them you're kidding. Growing forums is a conscious effort, and has work involved. You can do it, but you have to take it on yourself to make it a place that has the potential to grow, and I'll happily explain all the tips I've learned if anyone wants them. (Example right here in this post: If responses are along the lines of "Absolutely, any tips would be really helpful!" then that pulls me back in and I come back, even if you don't actually care all that much about the tips, you see. Sometimes that's what it takes to lead a forum. Better still, of course, is if you really do invest caring in what's said, and that's what I always used to try to do.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I'll try, I just hope everyone else can as well. Which I think they can.
Back to top Go down
Jordohio(.net)
Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I was pretty sure he was just being sarcastic, but, as you said, I didn't know for sure.

I'm just not usually asked for help around here, and I've wanted to help out with the new forum since before the last one even closed. But, when Papy responds like that, it seems as though he is denying my request to join. (Yes, that's the way I try and join to help. It's not the best, as it makes me look like a whiny biscuit. I don't really care.)

But, if he would respond like that to a newer member (for example, the same age I was when I joined) then he/she may take it seriously and leave. I know I would have, and I did take comments like that seriously. I remember making threads about me being too angry and said I would try and calm down. (lol, I was young.)

But yeah, I come around here often enough to understand everybody and how they talk, their humor, etc. Like I said before, I've just wanted to help with stuff around here and have been ignored.

tl;dr: here is a quote from the mod board on the old forum.
Old Mod Board wrote:
-Remember the community we're trying to build. We want people to feel welcome, and as Mods it is your job to help do that.
It surprises me that the text file I put that in has survived after all this time.
Back to top Go down
-JKR-

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm

And if they don't... Shifty

Ninja
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Jordohio wrote:
I was pretty sure he was just being sarcastic, but, as you said, I didn't know for sure.

I'm just not usually asked for help around here, and I've wanted to help out with the new forum since before the last one even closed. But, when Papy responds like that, it seems as though he is denying my request to join. (Yes, that's the way I try and join to help. It's not the best, as it makes me look like a whiny biscuit. I don't really care.)

But, if he would respond like that to a newer member (for example, the same age I was when I joined) then he/she may take it seriously and leave. I know I would have, and I did take comments like that seriously. I remember making threads about me being too angry and said I would try and calm down. (lol, I was young.)

But yeah, I come around here often enough to understand everybody and how they talk, their humor, etc. Like I said before, I've just wanted to help with stuff around here and have been ignored.

tl;dr: here is a quote from the mod board on the old forum.
Old Mod Board wrote:
-Remember the community we're trying to build. We want people to feel welcome, and as Mods it is your job to help do that.
It surprises me that the text file I put that in has survived after all this time.
The only reason why I said that, is because we all have good chemistry here. You know that I am messing with you, but I wouldn't say that to a new member because they would not know. Anyway, I'm sorry.

Back to top Go down
-JKR-

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm

I presented the whole situation to Q as well so she's using her superior brain to think on the subject. Maybe as an outside opinion she'll have thoughts none of us would have considered, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Thoughts none of us considered? Now that subject is on my mind and I can't get it off.
Back to top Go down
Dizzy

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 pm

This product has Dizzy's Seal of Approval.

Though I'm not sure that the people around here will have much of a problem making people feel welcome. We're a decently outgoing group and get along pretty well, and those that don't fit in probably won't stick around that much even if the hand is extended. Overreaction to small statements is silly, and those that do overreact aren't exactly people I want to hang out/post on a forum with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as we don't purposely exclude people, those that will fit in well and become great members will come along. Its not so much as including, but not excluding, you know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Descriptor
"Normal" Member

Male Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Eh, if there's a new forum, I prolly won't go to it...
I just don't have enough of a vested interest in the community anymore...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

YES YOU WILL DESCRIPTOR.

Honestly. You'll do what you do now; drop in from time to time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Descriptor
"Normal" Member

Male Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Dizzy wrote:
YES YOU WILL DESCRIPTOR.

I dunno, registering on a forum is a strangely large obstacle for me, which would keep me from joining this new one.
I have no ide why...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 am

Descriptor wrote:
Dizzy wrote:
YES YOU WILL DESCRIPTOR.

I dunno, registering on a forum is a strangely large obstacle for me, which would keep me from joining this new one.
I have no ide why...
Beware the ides of registering.
Back to top Go down
-JKR-

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Descriptor wrote:
Dizzy wrote:
YES YOU WILL DESCRIPTOR.

I have no ide why...

Well registering is an act of commitment. Even if you plan not to post frequently, the mere act is one that says "I am joining willingly." And when it comes down to it, that's a big deal, even if it is just for a forum online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm not sure registering for a forum on the interwebz qualifies as a big deal...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-JKR-

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:43 am

Okay, here's the scoop: I've been continually looking at this situation and thinking about it, and after discussing it with my psychologist earlier today (see, psychologists are good for not just big problems but everyday stuff) we came to the conclusion that I need to write out all my thoughts on the subject so we're all on the same page. There are aspects that I probably eluded to, but haven't given you the complete rundown on, and I need to give everyone the complete rundown so we can either move forward with this in the SAME direction, or if people disagree about the direction we'll have to do things apart. What won't work is not having a clear direction with people on different pages. I can't do that again.

My question then is this: I would like to let anyone who wants to be involved in the discussion be involved, so where should it be held? I can post it all in a thread here, but I'd need to link to it so anyone who wants to can talk about it. Better, I think, would be an outside location specifically for the discussion, so perhaps a separate blog entry or some sort of chat set up specifically for this. I don't know, I'm up for suggestions on where to hold the meeting. I think Google used to have some sort of multiple-person-posting-thing a while back, but I don't remember exactly.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eat box
Master of noms
Master of noms

Male Number of posts : 659
Location : IN NEW YOOOOORK. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH LYYYRIIICS
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 am

-JKR- wrote:
Okay, here's the scoop: I've been continually looking at this situation and thinking about it, and after discussing it with my psychologist earlier today (see, psychologists are good for not just big problems but everyday stuff) we came to the conclusion that I need to write out all my thoughts on the subject so we're all on the same page. There are aspects that I probably eluded to, but haven't given you the complete rundown on, and I need to give everyone the complete rundown so we can either move forward with this in the SAME direction, or if people disagree about the direction we'll have to do things apart. What won't work is not having a clear direction with people on different pages. I can't do that again.

My question then is this: I would like to let anyone who wants to be involved in the discussion be involved, so where should it be held? I can post it all in a thread here, but I'd need to link to it so anyone who wants to can talk about it. Better, I think, would be an outside location specifically for the discussion, so perhaps a separate blog entry or some sort of chat set up specifically for this. I don't know, I'm up for suggestions on where to hold the meeting. I think Google used to have some sort of multiple-person-posting-thing a while back, but I don't remember exactly.

Thoughts?
Are you thinking of google docs? And if you want a chat, I can make an IRC room. If you want the chat recorded, however, I don't know what to say.

Master of the Universe

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 am

Google docs sounds like the best option to me, just to have a record of it all saved.

Seniorer Member
Seniorer Member

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 am

I could host an IRC server on Jordohio.net that logs everything, as Eat Box doesn't know how to log messages.

If not though, yeah, Google Docs is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
-JKR-

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 am

Yeah, that's probably it. Google docs, thanks. I'll go look into that and keep folks posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I would say the IRC we used for E3 discussion would be good for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How would you guys feel about a new forum?   

Back to top Go down

How would you guys feel about a new forum?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cube :: Generally speaking :: General stuff-
Jump to: