The Cube
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Le Cube

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game of the Year [spoilers]

Go down 
+12
The People
Mega
Gitarooman
FlyingGiraffe
Linkred2
MC
General Meevious
Dizzy
Wraith
Wii-Lover
~Sgt-Jay~
Gman
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What, in your opinion, was the game of the year? (sorry, max options is 10)
Fallout 3
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
GTA IV
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Metal Gear Solid 4
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
Rock Band 2
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
Braid
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
No More Heroes
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
Gears of War 2
 7% [ 1 ]
The World Ends With You
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Gman
Dr. Awesome
Dr. Awesome
Gman

Male Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 5:00 pm

I couldn't find Brawl on any other 2008 GotY lists, nor do I think it should be Game of the Year. I just put it there because I knew you fanboys people would request it.

Once again, Yahtzee sums up my opinion: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/35-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl
Back to top Go down
MC
MC

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Hacked Brawl = GoTy

Here's a vid to prove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6R1ii3E75g&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

Male Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 5:32 pm

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
Oh man. People who voted for Brawl have fanboyism towards Nintendo/no experiance with other systems.

Not that thats a bad thing, but still guys, Brawl is way too casual to get GotY.

1. I'm not a fanboy. I'm the closest thing to a fanboy, but I really like the other consoles too.

2. I have experience, but I don't own the other systems.

3. Just imagine if SSBB DID live up to your over zealous over exasperated over hyped hype. Wouldn't it be the GotY for you? (Which it did just that for me)
Back to top Go down
Mega
Title stealer >:(
Mega

Male Number of posts : 391

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I really didn't see what was so special about last year, this year however personally I feel is the best year in entertainment I've seen since...forever.

Well Think I'll give my view on the games listed.

Fallout 3
Good game, very addictive and very big! However it did feel way to similar to oblivion and the ending just pissed me off.

GTA IV
Another great game, large fun and with it's charm, people think the new physics engine is a pain but I prefer it, cant really think much negatives about this game really, maybe online is cheap.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Again another great game, people say the cutscenes are way to long and put it down for it, personally I had no problems with them, infact I found them very entertaining and did their job, letting you get to know the well rounded characters, I have no negitives to say about the game, only MGO.

Rock Band 2
What can I say it's a licensed music game.

Braid
Cant say I played it.

No More Heroes
Great game, best wii game to come out this year, only issues are it's repetitive and the blood was taken out, then again the pixels thing gave it it's charm.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Urg, dunno about this one, kinda mixed optinion, basically thought it was must melee with online, but that's good, but it was over hyped and overrated to hell and that spoiled it for me.

Gears of War 2
Still in the middle of playing that one.

The World Ends With You
Never played it.

Games I think that should also be on the list:
Cod:WaW
L4D
LBP
Dead Space
Fable II
MKWii

Well I voted for MGS4 myself, since I spent £300 for the chance to play it and felt it was worth it defiantly raised the bar for me on graphics and immersion.
Back to top Go down
The People
The People

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Brawl won. If only it was fun...

Melee was good, because it was a game I picked at random and enjoyed. This was hyped months before release, with EVERY LITTLE DETAIL spilled to the public... And subspace emissary sucked so much balls I could never be arsed completing it.
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

Male Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Why do all the people in the UK have to be so misinformed about Brawl? It isn't even close to Melee, don't you dare make me make a thread and rant about it. I'm getting closer every time.

And I don't think Brawl is even a candidate for GotY, Gman said he just put it up there for fanboy satisfaction.

@MindChamber: I want to cremate you. And then scatter your ashes over the sea. It would make me feel so much better.

@Wii-Lover: First of all, I didn't hype over Brawl the way everyone else did. I stayed away from updates on the Dojo, and everything else. And I probably shouldn't have said no, the word I should have used is little. If you don't own the system and the game, no matter how many reviews your never going to be able to form a solid opinion on the game. Owning it enables you to analyze every detail and create an opinion based on your own tastes.
Back to top Go down
Linkred2
Man In Red
Man In Red
Linkred2

Male Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 4:31 am

...And with that opinion, you're stating yours is superior? Urk urk urk.
Back to top Go down
Wii-Lover
The #1 Assassin
The #1 Assassin
Wii-Lover

Male Number of posts : 400

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:55 am

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
And I don't think Brawl is even a candidate for GotY, Gman said he just put it up there for fanboy satisfaction.

Yet it seems 4 people disagree with you.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Destroyer of hopes and dreams.
Wraith

Male Number of posts : 479

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:04 am

It is possible to have four or more fanboys on a forum, you know. Brawl was not GotY worthy, period.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cubetoons.com/forum
Fordy
Fordy

Male Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 am

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
Why do all the people in the UK have to be so misinformed about Brawl? It isn't even close to Melee, don't you dare make me make a thread and rant about it. I'm getting closer every time.

@MindChamber: I want to cremate you. And then scatter your ashes over the sea. It would make me feel so much better.

@Wii-Lover: First of all, I didn't hype over Brawl the way everyone else did. I stayed away from updates on the Dojo, and everything else. And I probably shouldn't have said no, the word I should have used is little. If you don't own the system and the game, no matter how many reviews your never going to be able to form a solid opinion on the game. Owning it enables you to analyze every detail and create an opinion based on your own tastes.

First of all, you're a cock.

Secondly, people in the UK aren't "Misinformed" about Brawl. We play the exact same game as you. Unfortunately, we don't all consider a slight change in the physics and technical combos/glitches a massive upgrade. Because it's not. Go ahead, make a thread about it. You'll only make yourself look like a muppet.

I think Brawl is an awesome game. Heck, I spent 4 hours on it last night with my friend. But I know it's not GotY worthy, because of the same reasons everyone else has mentioned (having said that, it probably is worthy of GoTY on Wii, but only because it's been a bad year for the Wii).

Also, I won't say what's my GotY because I've only very recently got a 360, and havent been able to play that many games. Though I have played Gears2 at a friends house. I never liked Gears that much, but all my friends say Gears 2 isnt as good as the original.
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Uh Fordy? The correct title is 'dick' unless your calling me a rooster. :=P: (You've told me I'm a cock/dick more times than I can remember. Even on the old Cubetoons. It gets old you know.)

You certain as hell misinformed if you seriously think Brawl is the same as Melee. And I never said anything about an upgrade. Brawl and Melee are two very different games, when your looking at gameplay. So many things were changed you can hardly think of it as 'the same as Melee' as Mega and Jay put it. The only people I've heard say that are people in the UK, so its not that I'm singling them out on purpose. You just seem to be the members that say Melee is the same as Brawl, which is very incorrect.

Also, I love Brawl bunches. I was talking about the differences between it and Melee, and I also was talking about how it wasn't GotY worthy. Brawl is probably one of my favorite games every made, even if it isn't GotY.

Really? I've played both (although the second one much more extensively) and I thought 2 was about the same, just with a few differences that gives it the extra push it needs. But mostly the same as the first. I love the series though, so I might be slightly blinded by that.
Back to top Go down
Mega
Title stealer >:(
Mega

Male Number of posts : 391

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Kirby could fire rocket launchers out his ass and it would still be the same as melee to me, special moves yes, that made it different , the physics and move sets, I barely noticed it myself, then again I'm not one of those people who took the game too serious and looked deep into the movement and fighting styles when in reality it is a simple game. ._.

The 3 are all pretty much the same game only difference was that the original and melee had a major graphical difference, I'm sure people from the UK say this because we got jacked by nintendo on the game, and had to wait months after the U.S to get a damn date. >>
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:32 pm

oh my

clutching at straws :awesome:

It's like.. im having a sandwhich with cheese.. and then I have a sandwhich with melted cheese

it's still a cheese sandwhich
Back to top Go down
Linkred2
Man In Red
Man In Red
Linkred2

Male Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:26 pm

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
Uh Fordy? The correct title is 'dick' unless your calling me a rooster. :=P: (You've told me I'm a cock/dick more times than I can remember. Even on the old Cubetoons. It gets old you know.)

You certain as hell misinformed if you seriously think Brawl is the same as Melee. And I never said anything about an upgrade. Brawl and Melee are two very different games, when your looking at gameplay. So many things were changed you can hardly think of it as 'the same as Melee' as Mega and Jay put it. The only people I've heard say that are people in the UK, so its not that I'm singling them out on purpose. You just seem to be the members that say Melee is the same as Brawl, which is very incorrect.

Also, I love Brawl bunches. I was talking about the differences between it and Melee, and I also was talking about how it wasn't GotY worthy. Brawl is probably one of my favorite games every made, even if it isn't GotY.

Really? I've played both (although the second one much more extensively) and I thought 2 was about the same, just with a few differences that gives it the extra push it needs. But mostly the same as the first. I love the series though, so I might be slightly blinded by that.
Well perhaps people in the UK aren't sorta as extremely dedicated nerdish and look into every single pixel to see what's different about it.

I myself just consider it Melee with online and more clones characters, the items increment is pretty much a standard of the series so bah. Also final smash.

But alas, it's not worthy of GoTY but it is worthy of meme.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Just because 3 UKers say that Brawl is the same as Melee doesn't mean that all British people are "misinformed"... I agree with them that it's the same, and as you may or may not recall, I am American. Sure, there are subtle differences, but only people like yourself who spend six hours a day studying the very pixels of the game itself notice anything. The rest of us can't even tell the difference. That's not necessarily a bad thing (if it ain't broke...), but it's true. 99% of the population can't tell that Brawl has ever-so-slightly different game mechanics, so it's obviously not that drastic of a change.

Oh, and I don't know about where you live, but here "cock" refers to more than roosters. I used it to refer to someone on Engadget just the other day, actually.
Back to top Go down
Gitarooman
"Normal" Member
Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Default4

Male Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Personally, I didn't think much of Brawl. It was enjoyable, but I mean, I wouldn't be playing it 24/7 or anything...
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm

I think it's a good game and it's great for parties and stuff, but it just doesn't compare in terms of depth to the other GotY candidates.
Back to top Go down
FlyingGiraffe
Master of the Universe
FlyingGiraffe

Male Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm

That said, Rockband 2 isn't much different, yet it's been under the not-goty-worthy radar since it ain't winning. :)
Back to top Go down
TFSM
TFSM

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:29 pm

If you were thinking about getting Rock Band 2, go for it! I got it and it is GREAT! It has a huge tracklist too! and if you get it for Xbox 360, I'll play you!
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:34 pm

FlyingGiraffe wrote:
That said, Rockband 2 isn't much different, yet it's been under the not-goty-worthy radar since it ain't winning. :)

It's really not that different at all, but I'm not saying that it is like CD is with Brawl. :P
Back to top Go down
Fordy
Fordy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm

CrAzYdRuNk wrote:
Sorry, I was out of place to insult you there.

I was just in a bit of a stress. Sorry. >_<
(And I don't even know who you are... :stare: )
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm ElvenGamer, but new and improved. My old name sucks, I switched to using CrAzYdRuNk ages ago, even during the old Cubetoons. I just didn't feel like getting another name change, but I want one when CT comes back. If I can't get one, I'm probably going to start over.

Also, I played Rock Band 2 yesterday. It was really fun, but still, the Rock Band series is always so...weird for me. I've always played Guitar Hero, and playing Rock Band feels so different. It could be GotY, but I doubt it mostly because the other games up there are so high profile.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I don't think RB2 is really GotY worthy (it is the exact same as RB1, and I know what people meant when they said that voting for rhythm games just doesn't seem "right"), but of the games I've played on the list so far, I liked it the most. So I voted for it even though it's not really Game of the Year. :P
Back to top Go down
~Sgt-Jay~
~Sgt-Jay~

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:07 pm

RB1 was released this year in the UK, so when i voted for RB2 i just mean RB in general
Back to top Go down
Fordy
Fordy

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm

I havent played RB yet...

It's yet to establish itself over here I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game of the Year [spoilers]   Game of the Year [spoilers] - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game of the Year [spoilers]
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next